Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Jeepers, hi!


    When I was younger I loved the made-for Disney Channel movie, Susie Q.  “Most people call me Susie Q, like the song.”  Yeah, that movie.  
    It starts with your typical ‘getting ready for the dance’ scene.  Susie does her makeup, puts on this cute little bubblegum pink number, a giant pink bow, and an outrageous pure white fur stole.  Then her studly boyfriend pulls up in an old cherry-red convertible to take her to winter formal.  The movie (so far) takes place in the ‘50s.  They take off to go to the formal, Susie distracts her bf and they stop on a bridge.  Some drunk drivers come along and hit them, they die, should be end of story right? 
    Nope.  Fast forward to the ‘80’s, Susie Q’s a ghost, and the main character, Zach, is the only living person who can see her. Not the best plotline, but hey, what made-for-TV movie plot was in the ‘90’s?
    It has your typical high school characters – the jock/bully, the cheerleaders, the nerdy kid, the new kid, the old, wise janitor that overhears Zach’s (the new kid’s) conversation about how he met Susie Q and lets him in on the fact she’s a ghost.  Okay, so some typical and atypical there, but overall a great teen flick, really. 
    What I love about the movie, though, is Susie.  Played by Amy Jo Johnson, Susie Q is just the cutest, “Jeepers!” exclaiming, little lady in bubblegum pink (trapped in a perpetual state of pink, she wears the dress from the night she died throughout the movie).  On an unrelated note, Johnson was also the original pink power ranger on Mighty Morphin Power Rangers.  Amy Jo obviously had a thing for pink.  All the actors in this movie were really fantastic considering, but Amy Jo just knocks it out of the park.  She’s so sweet and innocent and well-meaning.  Plus her name (Susie Q, that is) is just great.  Which brings me to my point…
    Well before this movie even aired, my dad used to call me Susie Q.  My last name does start with a Q, you know.  He would say, “What’s new Susie Q?!,” and swing me up into his arms. Of course the Susie Q he was referring to was probably from the 1957 blues song.  Anyway, I’ve loved the name ever since. I hope this offers some insight into the title of this site. :)

Heart you,
xo Susie Q

No comments:

Post a Comment